DIY shaving cream does not work as well as homemade shaving soap. Learn why natural shave soap works so well and how to make it!
What’s wrong with DIY Shaving Cream?
Do not get me wrong. I love shaving cream. But most DIY recipes consist of different oils and butters mixed together. Oil can clean your skin but it will not treat the Hair under your arms or on your face like a water-based cream would. Oils and butters don’t soften hair as much, which is what you need to achieve a close shave.
Shaving Soap to Get a Close Shave
The combination of soap and water will give you an extremely close shave. It is vital to avoid a ” five o’clock Shadow“. The closer you shave the more time it takes for the hairs to grow back.
DIY Shaving Soap Recipe
- Use one similar to this, or learn the way to make liquid soap.
- 1/4 cup Grapeseed Oil
- 1 Tablespoon raw Honey
- 1/4 cup cocoa butter
- Bentonite clay 2 tablespoons
- A few drops of pure essential oils like lavender and rose
- Melt the cocoa butter using a double boiler to begin your DIY shaving soap.
- Add the liquid soap and honey. Mix well.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add the clay. Allow the clay to cool down slightly and remove from heat.
- Add the essential oils and whisk until creamy. It will begin to harden as it cools. Whisking it helps keep the clay suspended.
- Pour or spoon the mixture into a container or bowl with a lid that fits tightly.
To create a lather, apply a small amount to your damp skin. Allow the soap to soak into the hair shaft for a few moments. After shaving, rinse the soap off thoroughly. It is safe to use every day.
Notes on Ingredients
- Consider using masculine essential oils in your shaving soap, whether you use them alone or together. Some good combinations (that can also be used individually) include vetiver/bergamot, patchouli/cedarwood/clary sage, or cedarwood/eucalyptus/juniper. These essential oils can be found here .
- Bentonite Clay is a key ingredient in giving the razor “slip”, so that it glides across the skin instead of sticking to it.
Have you ever tried DIY shaving soap instead of DIY shaving cream? What do you think of this recipe for shaving soap?