Do you worry about the data on your WordPress website being lost or an unexpected outage? You’re not the only one! WordPress powers 40 percent of all websites. It remains a target for cybercriminals. Even a small data loss or outage could have a significant impact on your online presence.
You’re in the right place. This blog will show you three easy and quick ways to create free WordPress backups. Each method will be demonstrated so that you can understand it and choose the right one for your WordPress site.
I will also cover the best practices to back up your website and the importance of updating your WordPress site using trusted plugins in order to reduce the risk of cyber attacks.
You’ll be armed with all the tools and knowledge you need to ensure your WordPress site is secure and that it runs smoothly. Let’s get started now!
Table Of Contents
- What are WordPress backups? (Importance & Data-Loss Causes)
- How to backup your WordPress website (3 easy methods)
- How To Backup A WordPress Site With A Hosting Platform
- How To Backup A WordPress Website Using A Plugin
- How To Backup A WordPress Site (Manual Method)
- WordPress backups: How often should you perform them?
- The 5 Best WordPress Backup Plugins for 2023
- 1. UpdraftPlus
- 2. Duplicator
- 3. BlogVault
- 4. BackupBuddy
- 5. Jetpack VaultPress Back
- Best practices for backing up a WordPress site
What are WordPress backups? (Importance & Data-Loss Causes)
It’s important to know the causes of data loss and how they can affect your online presence as a WordPress website owner.
By backing up your WordPress website, you ensure that in the event of an unexpected incident, you will have a copy of all of your site’s files, data, and content. You risk losing your entire website’s data, files, and content if you don’t have a backup. This can happen due to hacking attempts, crashes of servers, or human error, such as accidentally deleting content or files.
WordPress backups also give you the peace of mind that you can restore your site to its original state. There is no need to worry about starting over when you rebuild your website. You can have it up and running again in no time.
It is important to regularly back up your site in order to avoid data loss. Cloudways is a WordPress Hosting provider that offers automatic backups.
WordPress Data Loss: Common causes
A number of different causes can cause data loss.
- Hacking, malware, and phishing: Cyber Attacks
- server failures: crashes and hardware issues
- Human error: accidental deletion
- : Plugin/theme conflict: Errors and crashes
It’s, therefore, important to understand the common causes of data loss and have a plan to prevent it.
Cloudways WordPress hosting: Take advantage of automated backups!
Say goodbye to data loss. You can customize your backup frequency. Download backups easily locally or even clone an existing website using backups.
Try it for Free
How to backup your WordPress website (3 easy methods)
You now know how important it is to back up your WordPress website. Let’s explore three simple methods for quick backups. Choose whichever option best suits your needs.
How to backup a WordPress site using a hosting platform
It’s important to choose a hosting provider that offers a solid backup policy to protect your data and website. Many providers include this service as a free extra or an added benefit.
Managed WordPress Providers, like Cloudways, go above and beyond by handling your server and application backups. Cloudways can back up multiple WordPress apps on one server.
No one likes to think of disasters, but with cloudways, you can relax knowing that your data is secure. Customers can enjoy a simple, automated process of backup and restoration.
How to quickly back up your site on Cloudways
- Sign up for a Cloudways account or log in with your credentials.
Note: If this is your first time using Cloudways, sign up for the free 3-day test (no credit cards required) and try out the platform. To use the backup function, you will need to upgrade to Full.
- Click ” Add Server.” if you already have an application.
- Choose the server location and size. Click “Launch now.”
- Wait for the server to start.
- Toggle applications after it launches to select the managed application.
- You will be redirected to the Application Manager. Click Back Up And Restore.
- Backup and Restore allows you to instantly backup or restore a WordPress site. You can take an on-demand (files and database) backup before testing a theme or plugin, & restore older backups if problems occur.
- Click ” Create a Backup Now ” to create a backup.
- The backup will only take a couple of minutes. Once the backup is complete, you’ll receive a message stating, “Backup completed.”
- You can now back up your WordPress website in just minutes using Cloudways.
Cloudways: How to manage your website backup configuration
Cloudways offers automated WordPress backups. However, you can customize the settings in the Backups section ( server management). The steps are below.
- Click the servers tab.
- To manage your configurations, click Backups.
There are many backup options available, including
- Schedule time: Select the preferred backup time (between 1 a.m. and 12 p.m. UTC).
- Backup frequency: Change the default daily frequency from hourly to up to seven days.
- Retention Period for Backup: Select the retention period (between 1 and 4 weeks).
- Backup on demand: Back up the server manually with just a single click.
- Local Backup: Upon activation, it creates a backup folder accessible via SFTP on the server.